The 19 year old singer-songwriter April Keen, originating from Blackpool, visited Royal Holloway to perform with Coffee House Sessions. With her debut album ‘Against The Tide’ now live on Spotify/iTunes, April answered a few question in her pre-tour interview, giving an insight into what goes on behind the music…
- You’d describe your music as… Indie-folk
- You’re currently listening to… Lower Than Atlantis and Aquilo
- When you’re not making music you’re… Working at Wetherspoons!
- You’d like to duet with… Gabrielle Aplin – she is my queeeeeeeen
- Who’s your guilty pleasure? Eminem
- Dead or alive, who would you most like to grab a coffee with? My Grandad, he passed away when my dad was pretty young but I always get told stories about him and I would have loved to of met him!
- You’re an artiste because… I want to make people feel something when they’re listening to my music. I’d like somebody to listen to my songs and for it to help them to get through their day, whatever it may bring.
- Vinyl, CD or streaming? Streaming
- Your party trick is… I can make my eyeballs vibrate (don’t judge me).
- Your hometown is X and we should visit because… Blackpool. It’s much cheaper than London! I can buy 6 drinks on a Monday for the price of 1 in London – thats crazy! The piers are lovely, and the beaches are great for dog walks – I always used to take my dog Lucy there. Also, if you get the chance then go to a gig at the Winter Gardens in the Empress Ballroom, it’s a stunning room.
- Tinder or Taken? Tinder. I don’t have it though!
- Snapchat, Insta, Facebook or Twitter? I LOVE snapchat although I mostly end up featuring in my housemates’ stories acting like a crazy person. I don’t think I’ve made a legit twitter post in a few years, I should probably get back into it :-/
- The best boxset ever is… Nashville! My whole house is in LOVEEE with that show!
- Coffee House Tour… what are you most excited about? Getting the chance to play to so many people my age all around the country! I’m visiting so many places that I’ve never even been myself. I’m super excited to play my new material and see what people think. I’m also very excited for the nostalgic singalongs in the car as we drive to all our destinations.